Health benefits of tomatoes have been known to mankind from ancient times. Following are some benefits of tomatoes:
- If tomatoes are consumed in large amount, they help in improving the texture and color of the skin.
- Also, tomatoes are good blood purifiers.
- They help in the cases of congestion of liver and also dissolve gallstones. They also protect liver from cirrhosis.
- Tomatoes act like a natural antiseptic and hence protect from infections. Nicotinic acid present in tomatoes help in reducing blood cholesterol levels thereby preventing heart disorders.
- Vitamin K present in tomatoes help in preventing hemorrhages.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene. Lycopene is the red pigment present in tomatoes. It acts as a powerful antioxidant which fights cancer cells.
- According to the studies of American Medical Association, daily consumption of tomatoes decreases the oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes.
- Tomato helps in reducing the risk of developing hypertension.
- Vitamin A in tomato aids in preventing macular degeneration and night blindness, and in improving vision.